SPLASH! Speech Pathology
Speech and Language Pathology is the assessment and treatment of challenges associated with verbal communication and swallowing of food or drink. It is performed by speech-language pathologists (SLPs), which are often referred to as speech therapists.
Speech therapy techniques are used to improve communication. These include articulation therapy, language intervention activities, and others depending on the type of speech or language concern.
Speech therapy may be needed for speech disorders that develop in childhood or speech impairments in adults caused by an injury or illness, such as stroke or brain injury. Speech therapy begins with an assessment by an SLP who will identify the communication challenges and the best way to treat them.
Speech and Language Pathologists can help with the following:
- Delays in speech articulation, phonology and motor.
- Language delays, including expression and comprehension.
- Fluency, including stammering.
- Voice and resonance, including pitch, quality and loudness of voice.
- Cognitive-communicative challenges including social communication skills, reasoning, problem-solving and executive functions.
Speech for kids
Speech and Language Pathology for kids can take place in our clinic on a one-on-one basis, in small groups or at their school, depending on the treatment plan. A variety of speech therapy exercises and activities are available to choose from pertaining to your child’s needs. During speech and language therapy for kids, the SLP may:
- interact through talking and playing, and using books, pictures other objects as part of language intervention to help stimulate language development
- model correct sounds and syllables for a child during age-appropriate play to teach the child how to make certain sounds
- provide strategies and homework for the child and parent or caregiver on how to engage in speech therapy at home
Speech therapy can treat a broad range of speech and language delays and disorders in children and adults. With early intervention, speech therapy can improve communication and boost self-confidence. Our approach to therapy is tailored to fit your needs and fosters a fun, exciting and supportive environment where our clients ability to communicate can blossom. We work closely with carers, support workers and other professionals to ensure a collaborative service delivery as much as possible.
All of our therapists are Certified Practicing Speech Pathologists and members of Speech Pathology Australia.